10 April 2012

{E} Philippines' population now at 92.34 million!



The National Statistics Office of the Philippines has recently released the final and official count of the 2010 Census of Population and Housing conducted almost two years ago on May 1, 2010.


It revealed that there are 92,337,852 people in the Philippines, including over 2,000 Filipinos in Philippine embassies, consulates and missions abroad; higher by more than 15 million compared to the 2000 census.


It also made me aware that the annual population growth rate of my country has gone down to 1.90% (based on 2000 and 2010 results), compared to 2.34% based on 1990 and 2000 results.


My hometown Manila as of 2010 has a population of 1,652,171. Still, the most densely populated city all over the world with the density of 42,858 per square kilometer.


As compared to other countries, the Philippines is still on the 12th spot behind Mexico (2010 census: 112,336,538) and before Vietnam (2011 estimate: 87.84 million).


My thoughts:
1. I was double-counted, well, because I was counted in the May 2010 census in the Philippines and I was also counted in the November 1, 2010 Chinese census (Yup! I was counted in!). Statisticians have to exclude me from the China count, so that their calculations for the world's total population will be more accurate! Haha!
2. I'm happy with the decline of the annual population growth. It will be a big help in my country's economy. I just thought of population explosion which has been a worldwide problem and the Philippines somehow has just proved that it is not very keen in "participating" in it.
3. Having a huge population must not be a basis for "competing" with other countries. Statisticians and other people interested in this field like me just do comparisons, and it never encourages any country to exceed other country's population. China, for the fact that it is the most populated country in the world, has never been boastful of having that international recognition.
4. I can't really think of an absolute reason for the decline of annual population growth of the Philippines. But I think education, especially of the teens, has been one of the major factors which made them aware of the probable effects of the fast-growing population.


Sources:
http://www.census.gov.ph/data/pressrelease/2012/pr1227tx.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_population



>> rrj@chn_2012-04-10

No comments: