17 April 2012

{E} My First Research on Philippine Tiong Se Academy: A Summary



Note: Translated from the original Chinese text, written as an assignment for my "Practical Writing in Chinese II" class last 4th March 2012.

My First Research on Philippine Tiong Se Academy: A Summary
Joemar L. Colinares

      Philippine Tiong Se Academy (PTSA) is my country's oldest Chinese school, founded in 1899, has written more than a hundred years of history, and has given great contributions to Chinese education in the Philippines; thus, making the school itself deserving of further researches (in the Chinese education field).

I. Background
      In December 2011, an alumnus of PTSA, Mr. Rolando O. Uy, initiated the move for the application for the installation of a historical marker at the National Historical Commission of the Philippines, requiring for further in-depth research about the school. I, upon learning of it, started to look for sources and articles about PTSA.

II. Gathering of possible helpful sources
      When I went back to the Philippines during this year's winter break, I informed Mrs. Margarita Gutierrez, PTSA school principal, that I will conduct research about the school. She, being supportive of this event, permitted me to borrow two (2) anniversary books: the Anglo-Chinese School (ACS) Golden Jubilee Book (published in 1949) and the Anglo-Chinese School 70th Anniversary Book (published in 1973). Mrs. Gutierrez gave me a copy of the Philippine Tiong Se Academy Centennial Anniversary Book (published in 2002), and lent me her own copy of Philippine Chinese Education Research Center 1995-2004 Annual Report.
      Before leaving for China (last February), I returned the books (except for the Centennial Book) to the principal. I will borrow them again upon returning to the Philippines this July for my second research.

III. Results of the Research
      1. Had an in-depth knowledge of PTSA's glorious past
          During this research. I found out a lot about PTSA. From 1899 to date, the school has had seventeen (17) principals, one of them is the Sino-Japanese War (Second World War) martyr Gan Bun Cho. The school faced many challenges: 1942-45 World War II; school building razed by fire in 1969; the Filipinization of Chinese schools in 1973; increasing problems concerning nearby informal settlers in the 90s; and the city government's effort to commercialize Meisic-Sta. Elena area in 2007.
(above) Martyr Gan Bun Cho,
PTSA's sixth principal
served: 1918-1941
          Also, I learned of PTSA's contributions to Philippine Chinese education: PTSA wrote the first pages of Chinese education in the country; in 1921, the school is the first to use Mandarin as the medium of instruction in Chinese classes; this year, the school has been starting to hold "Chinese Culture" classes, in which a few Chinese schools have this kind of subject, that is to educate the today's generation of Filipino-Chinese of their rich culture.
            Lastly, the school's contribution to the Philippine and Fil-Chi society was uncovered by yours truly. in 1937, during the outbreak of Sino-Japanese War, the school initiated a military training class and had monthly donations to support the needs of the war. Claudio Teehankee, Sr. was appointed Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the republic in 1986. Teehankee Sr. is a graduate of ACS Batch 1929 English day class.
      2. Uncovered reasons for school population decline
(Undisclosed, will be revealed if I got the permission from PTSA Administrators)


IV. Loopholes of this research
          The school's library has a copy of the 30th Anniversary book of then Anglo-Chinese School (which is rarely seen in the Philippines and is believed that apart from PTSA's copy, there's no other copy of the said 1929 anniversary book), however, I was not able (or, I'm not that willing) to borrow it. Firstly, I can't understand ancient Chinese way of literature; secondly, I can't understand Chinese calligraphy in semi-cursive (xingshu) and cursive (caoshuscript.
          My Chinese proficiency has limitations, I may not recognize some characters (all of those books I borrowed are in traditional Chinese characters, I'm now used to reading the simplified ones) which can possibly affect my comprehension of several details in every article that I read.
          I haven't gone to several public libraries to further expand my research coverage. It makes this research a bit subjective.


>> rrj@chn_2012-04-17

No comments: