15 August 2020

My medals are nothing compared to his.

Seventy-five years ago today, the Japanese Empire accepted the demands of the Potsdam Declaration, which meant the unconditional surrender of Japan to the Allied Forces.


Though the war did not officially end until the signing of the Terms of Surrender one fortnight later, there was widespread jubilation across many nations, Philippines included (a commonwealth of the United States at that time). Soldiers need not to face more vicious battles anymore. Lasting peace is finally in sight!


The World War II Victory Medal (Obverse)

Among the jubilant soldiers is my grandfather. Lolo Dioning or "Pay" to his sons and daughters, fought in the Pacific theater during the war.


After all hostilities ceased in September 1945, all the brave ones were given recognition for their valor and service to the United States Army. Yes, my grandfather was a uniformed personnel of the United States Armed Forces in the Far East (USAFFE).


The pictures embedded in this blog post are all the prized possessions of my grandfather: the World War II Victory Medal, and the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal.


We have them in our house. I used to see them hidden inside our old wooden cabinet when I was a little one. Well, I know they are medals but I was just too young to understand what they are all about. Then several years later I was looking at the gallery of United States medals given for the World War II campaign in an encyclopedia, then I knew there is something significant.

The World War II Victory Medal (Reverse)


I took these medals out of the cabinet and compared it with the encyclopedia image.


Woah... Tunay pala...


Ah... kaya pala mga tiyuhin ko... mga pinsan ko...


I became proud of my roots.


My grandfather died in 1979, God has taken him so young. He has only seen one or two of his grandchildren.


I pity myself for not having Lolo Dioning alive (I never had grandparents FYI). I would love to hear his long stories of their fight for freedom. Perhaps I can appreciate Philippine history all the more with him around. And for sure I would have taken his advice on courtship how-tos hehehe!


But because of what I am hearing from my mother, I can picture my grandfather as a very good, capable and respectable man. In fact, when he was brought to his final resting place, many people in the town showed up to give their final respects. I was looking for the only clear photo of him that is in our family collection of old photos, it was him with my mother on stage for a school commencement exercises.


As a grandson, I am curious if he were to be alive today or at least when I was a kid, how would it feel having a grandparent which such great credentials tagged to his name. He is long gone now, but I am glad we have these medals with us, they give me a some kind of urge to better myself, not to be a soldier of course, but to be of somebody's service.


The Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal (Obverse and Reverse)


I got my own medals too, but they are worthless compared to the ones you see above. I claim to be under enormous pressure at the moment but I am nothing compared to him risking his very life at a daily basis during the war, actual war with guns and cannons.


Too bad my sons and daughters come time will not bear the Lagadia name, but Lolo Dioning will be forever a beacon of courage and strength for as long as I live.


And this is not only to commemorate the heroism of all those who have risked their lives to take on the Japs, but also to immortalize through digital means, the sacrifice of our Lolo for the country.


Lolo, if you have computer or some kind of gadget up there, please see your apo's short tribute. Cheers to the 75 years of peace! Thanks Lolo!


No comments: