19 October 2014

Binondo-San Nicolas Tales 01: Introduction

For the next post of this blog series, please click here.

Just recently, I found some old Manila maps uploaded on Wikimedia Commons to search for my alma mater’s original location year 1899. Since they are all centuries-old, the copyright of the photos are now expired; so there wouldn’t be any copyright issues if I download them to my own computer and share it with you through this blog.

The maps have revealed so many details to me, and if I were to share all of them to you, one blog post will not be enough. Thus, the birth of Joe’s Mix of Tops new “blog series” Binondo-San Nicolas Tales.


I’m a native of San Nicolas and I can say I’ve been to almost the entirety of the district. Binondo district is where I frequently go, as it is just a ten-minute walk from my place, whenever I go to work, church among other stuffs.

My hunger for history digging has been compelling me to search for more facts concerning Manila’s, particularly of the two aforementioned districts’ past as much as I can. Given that the Philippine capital has so much to tell from the pre-Hispanic era up to the present Estrada-led city administration, immortalizing the facts that I might share in this blog shall be my contribution to those who are in search for the truths that may not be found in school textbooks.

One thing I can assure my blog readers that every detail posted in this new blog series shall be verified and proven with sources. However, since most of pre-war Manila records are gone, I will be honest and sincere to tell everyone if there are details in the blog that are disputed and in need of further research.

Before I end this post, I must define Binondo and San Nicolas districts first.

The present-day Binondo geographical district’s borders are Estero de Binondo (the body of water under San Fernando Bridge) to the west, Claro M. Recto Avenue to the north, the narrow body of water (I don’t know it’s name) under the Gandara Bridge to the upper east, and Estero dela Reina (under Escolta Bridge) to the lower east. While the San Nicolas district borders Claro M. Recto Avenue to the north down to the west, and shares Estero de Binondo with the Binondo district on the east side. Both districts lie north of the Pasig River.

Location of Binondo and San Nicolas districts in Manila.
(Image derived from a Manila map found in Wikimedia Commons.)
Now, Binondo is the cradle to most of the Chinese-Filipinos and Chinese nationals in the Philippines, for the world's oldest Chinatown is in the said district. San Nicolas is the home to at least two public schools and tens of thousands of people reside there. The northernmost parts of the two districts are part of Divisoria area, where bargain sales and night markets take place.

Well, I'll post the former names of several streets in Binondo-San Nicolas area in my next post. Hope you'll join me next time in digging out Manila's past.

Everyone is welcome to give feedback and suggestions. If you’re a Google user, feel free to comment below; if not, you may contact me through e-mail joeco0327@yahoo.com.ph or visit my “Contact Me” page for more options.

No comments: